Brandywine has a long track record as a community-minded developer who is additive to the neighborhoods we serve. We follow a ‘listen, learn, then decide’ approach by regularly engaging with community stakeholders to understand their wants and needs. Across our portfolio, we invest in the community by creating public amenity spaces for gathering, prioritizing local sourcing, supporting small and minority-owned businesses, and providing capital for critical neighborhood needs like affordable housing and preservation initiatives, small business and employment programs, community capacity building, and educational support. In Philadelphia, our commitment to the community is evidenced by a landmark $16.4 million Neighborhood Engagement Initiative as part of our Schuylkill Yards development.
Health, Safety & Wellbeing
Brandywine utilizes purposeful health and wellness strategies that provide the highest levels of safety and comfort for all occupants on a daily basis. We thoughtfully consider building materials during development and build-out, and engage in on-going property operations and maintenance procedures that enhance overall quality of life. Strategies include sustainable building and product materials, infrastructure that supports physical, mental, and emotional health, and day-to-day operations committed to our standard of excellence. All new construction is designed to leading healthy building standards including WELL and Fitwel, with an emphasis on indoor air quality, enhanced filtration, optimal humidity levels, and access to ample natural light and dynamic outdoor spaces.
Diversity, Inclusion & Equity
We support diversity and inclusion efforts across every level of our business—from our employees, to our suppliers, contractors and vendors, because it is important to us that our company reflects the vibrant, diverse communities that we serve. We have launched a host of programs that promote diversity, inclusion, and equity, in the community including:
- Grow Philadelphia Capital Fund: through a partnership with The Enterprise Center, a non-profit lender and small business technical assistance provider, we created this fund to provide low-cost capital with an interest rate of 1% directly to Philadelphia Minority Enterprises to accelerate growth, enhance employment opportunities, and drive economic development in the community.
- Trades Training Program: we sponsor a trades training program designed to prepare candidates for the required entrance exams and interview process for the skilled building trade unions. Once we prepare participants for the exam, we secure their entry into the union. Many graduates are then offered employment on our projects.
- Local Sourcing Initiative: to assist in creating new procurement channels for West Philadelphia businesses, we make introductions between local businesses and our tenants, and fund a 10% discount for all tenants on their first purchase of goods or services from a West Philadelphia vendor.
- CDC Co-Development: we hire a Community Development Corporations (CDC) for each Schuylkill Yards project, allowing the CDCs to earn revenue and build capacity for their staff to better execute projects that enhance their community-serving mission.
- Community Fund: we have committed to contribute a $9.3 million grant to a Community Fund managed by a consortium of local community groups, which will provide capital for affordable housing and preservation initiatives, additional small business and employment programs, community capacity building, and educational support for local public schools.
- Austin Affordable Housing: we have committed to an Affordable Housing Program at our Uptown ATX development, including 15% of our 3,000 multifamily units being considered affordable housing, and providing a substantial investment to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund to promote the construction of additional affordable units in District 7 and around the city of Austin.
Our employees are our greatest asset and the cornerstone of our extraordinary success. Our mission is to foster a work environment that is challenging, enriching, and rewarding. Our employees are engaged through annual employee surveys, regular training and career development, volunteer and charity events, Affinity Team membership, and tuition reimbursement that allows for continuous learning.